I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Thoughts ...

I recently finished reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker. And as Donna points out one of the characters Shug has some interesting thoughts on the subject of God. I can't express them the same way that she does, but Shug challenges Celie's naive perceptions of the God of her mind and Celie "...Realizes that the God she needs is not the one she originally envisages. It is significant that she sees him as white and old 'like some white man work at the bank'. All the angels are white, too and she comes to realize that this God is useless to her... Her changing perceptions of God are completed by Shug Avery's unconventional interpretations of God and His purpose. Shug rejects the narrow Church and its false perceptions, preferring to have a personal religion in which God figures 'Not as a she or a he but a It.' She shares this revelation with Celie - the Gospel According to Shug - in order to worship, a person should 'lay back and just admire stuff. Be happy.' "

After reading this book I started thinking a lot about my perception of God. And when I talk to him what I'm actually picturing on the other end of the "conversation". How much do I allow my naive views shape who I think God is. Is it possible that by rendering God ineffectual in my mind I also render ineffectual my connection with him and his influence in my life?

On a similar note I've also been mildly curious about this religious fellowship that is close to Kairos. It's called Self-Realization Fellowship. There motto is a church for all religions and all cultures. Not only are it's Headquarters located in Los Angeles, I walk past this building roughly once a week and wonder about there teachings of God and their beliefs. I wonder if the teachings they have will challenge my current perceptions of God. Could I handle that challenge? Why would I want to hear things that challenge me in the first place? Lots of thoughts run through my head.

I've always enjoyed learning about other religions and others thoughts about God or whoever else people might worship. I feel that after all is said and done it's a good experience because one I've grown in my understanding and I'm able to more clearly define what I believe and why. Nothing it isn't always pleasant, but I wouldn't ever stop exploring.

8 comments:

Tanika said...

Thanks Anna that's exactly what I was thinking. You are obviously more eloquent than I am. Anything interesting happening your neck of the woods?

Daniel said...

When our faith is challenged, it can definitely cause us to be eventually strengthened in our faith. I suppose there's a fine line of that happening, and us seeking it out. An analogy is temptation; not giving into it could be argued to give us more strength, but it's not something to be sought out. In the same way, although falsehood may challenge our faith, we don't need to seek it out or feed off it. On the contrary, those who learn to detect counterfeit money don't do so by studying counterfeits, but by studying the real thing. I totally see the concept of what you're saying, but I guess it can also be pointed at that, in examining that concept, there's a risk of liberalizing one's faith. I guess I think that we can learn more and more about God by actually seeking him (Christ) directly and looking more deeply into the truth he's already given us. If other things, encounters with falsehood, happen to come along and challenge and strengthen us, so be it. But I don't think it's something that should be actively sought out. Just my two cents though :-)

Psalm 1.1-2
John 14.6
2 Peter 1.3-4

Tanika said...

True, true Daniel. You are right. Best place to learn about God is from well...God. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm curious about other things as well and want to know about those things as well. And even though those things aren't pertaining to God it's funny how they lead me back to Him. Even when I wasn't particularly looking for Him in the first place. That was part of my point. Not that I was looking for God, but I was curious as to what other people do and think and ways they try to relate to God. I enjoy learning about what other people believe and why. I meant I grow in my understanding of people and life.

I agree with you. If I want to know about something then I go to that something. If I want to learn about God, go to Him. If I want to learn about people or another culture I go to them or it.

Tanika said...

Thanks for your thoughts Donna. I guess the way I think about God (especially after reading The Color Purple) is being challenged of late. It's kinda like Celie. thinking of him as an "old white man". It's like, if I'm made in his image then why do I conceptualize him as an old white man. At the very least shouldn't he be a young, black woman? (Not that I think of God this way) I guess I don't want to put limits on God. And when I find myself doing this, I want to put on the brakes and back up and try to keep my mind open to what God really is. Anyhoo...thanks for your thoughts. I love getting feedback.

Anonymous said...

I think there's a song, "God must be a woman"... Anyway, this post and the comments have got wheels turning in my head and I keep wanting to leave a comment but the wheels haven't turned out any complete and coherent thoughts yet, just a bunch of jumbled stuff. I know my image of God isn't consistent, so sometimes my perception is "better" than other times. Sometimes He looks kinda like my friends, especially when I'm really seeing Him in them. So Tanika, sometimes for me you and God bear a striking resemblence. Except God's taller than you :)When I'm mad at him, though, he's more of a middle aged white man, I think because I can't be mad at a frail looking old guy, and considering God is anything but frail I dont' understand how that image is so popular. I guess some old white man started it. We're all made in His image so we all look like him. But I do wonder to what extent I see God the way I want to see Him instead of the way He is, and I'm not talking visually now. But that's a whole other thing and I gotta get back to work...

Tanika said...

Actually that exactly what I'm getting at Lauren. I think my visual conceptions of God overlay Him in my mind until who he really is, is replaced by my mental conceptions which are based on my physical representations of Him. Does that make sense or did I just confuse everyone including myself.

It's interesting for me to learn how people conceptualize God for our limited human understanding. Because sometimes I find consistencies between myself and others and is it because that's the easiest way for us to deal with God, by breaking Him down for human consumption? In various forms it might take. Anyhoo. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

That made sense to me. We try to put God in a form that we can better understand, but there is so much influencing what form we put together in our minds that before we know it our representations of Him can travel pretty far from reality and what the Bible tells us about God.
Really, we can't help but break Him down for human consumption - our understanding is limited. I think it's ok as long as we REMEMBER that our understanding is limited, that God is infinitely bigger than the boxes we try to place him in.

Anonymous said...

here here!