I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Cowboy Troy and Other Atrocities

The other day my friend Fred (change the name to protect the guilty) asked me if I had heard of this new guy on the scene Cowboy Troy. I guess he mixes hip-hop/rap with country music. Fred says "Hick-hop" will be the new craze. Somehow I doubt it. It's almost scary really. You should check out his "I play chicken with the train" video. It's so scary it's unreal. It's like this weird amalgamation of a typical black man's video and a country video (and yes there are midgets!)

Moving on, my good friend Brooke posted a wonderful entry that I absolutely loved and that leads me to something that has been pressing on my mind over the past couple of weeks as L.A. moves into another blazingly hot summer. As the temperatures rise people seek ways to "Beat the Heat". Whether it's losing the shirt for guys, or wearing skimpy clothes for the ladies, people will do anything to try to stay cool in this weather or enjoy it whatever the case may be, even if it isnt' socially acceptable.

As I have travelled to various parts of the city I have been accosted (visually at least) by many a faux pas as a result of people not knowing how to appropriately enjoy the weather. So here I have compiled yet again another list of LA do's and dont's (The Summer Edition) :

(Most important rule in my african american opinion)
Do: Get out there, go to the beach and get some sun wearing the appropriate level of spf. (Nothing wrong with that)

Don't: Walk around looking like THE red lobster after you told your worried african american friend a trite phrase like "I don't burn" or "All my burn turns to tan" We can't take it.

Do: (Ladies and Gents) Wear summer appropriate footwear that help keep you cool and (ladies) show off that cute pedicure.

Don't: Wear sandals or flip flops if your feet are so jacked up it looks like your toes are throwing gang signs. (exception old people with arthritis; and I'm gonna need a note)

Do: Wear clothes that are cool and comfortable for your SIZE and BODY type. (Hey just because you a little thick doesn't been you can't stay cool)

Don't: Wear belly shirts if you KNOW you shouldn't be, (goodness) walking around threatening indecent exposure charges. Or wear a spousal corrector (you know what I mean) tee-shirt if you weigh less than 100 pounds. Just not gonna work. And remember bermuda shorts and pedal pushers are making a comeback and for better or worse so are culottes (eww!)


That's all I have for now. Please feel free to contribute your personal opinions. And remember in LA fashion knows no temperature.

Tanika's Relationsship Tip #10: In keeping with atrocities I guess my tip should deal with that right? A friend of mine told me this past week that it's important to communicate with the person you are dating or married to. She is recently engaged and we were having a discussion about being open and communicating with your significant other. I told her that sometimes I don't feel like talking and that I would be better off with someone like me. But the truth is I don't like that about me. I want to be able to talk and share with the person that I will spend my life with. If I can't then how can I expect the relationship to work? It goes back to the tip I gave about being true to who you are. Because if you aren't then your whole relationship is built on a lie and ultimately won't work. Being open with the person I'm with is the only way they can truly get to know me and it's the only real way to stay true to myself and vice versa. My friend Daniel made a comment about marriage being the most intimate relationship two people can have. And in the hope that the relationship you are in is moving in that direction it makes sense that you want to nuture your relationship so that it will be strong and functioning. I always think when I meet the right person I'll be able to be open and honest and communicate freely with them, but the truth is that if I find that impossible to do now there is no way I will be able to to it when it really matters. The real atrocity would be to keep yourself hidden or closed off from the person that you are in a relationshipo with.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When and to whom should you open up to? I believe in being yourself and real with people in general, but doesn't leave the door to getting too personal and not being careful with your heart? Where's the line?

Tanika said...

Anonymous:

Good point where should you draw the line? As you probably can tell I am not a person who is free and easy with everyone. I believe that there should be a few (as in 1 or 2) people in your life that you are honest and open with. I should point out that I was mostly refereing to the person who you are interested in being in a relationship with, but it should also pertain to a "close" friend(s) Who it is depends entirely on you. I suggest it be people that you feel that you can trust and know they won't deliberately do anything to hurt you and have expressed that they have your best interests at heart.

Obviously it will have to be someone who you have taken the time to get to know. I feel like that's the best line. Some people spill there guts to all and sundry, but upon closer inspection they realize all they did was blab and that's about it.

Daniel said...

Cool, hickbonics.

Tanika said...

You would say that Daniel. You are always trying to speak Hickbonics! Didn't we make up a couple of phrases back in the day?

Daniel said...

It's not too hard to speak hickbonics. You just use ebonics with a southern accent, maybe throw in ya'll and yonder and other such words, and lengthen some of the contractions. "[Imagine southern accent...] What'sup yo? We be finna go to da sto, ya'll wanna come along? Yeah buddd..."

And then there's hick-anglish. "Howdy, esse."

Hick mixes well with just about anything ;-)

Daniel