I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Race Relations at the Mathnasium...

As most people know I work at a place called the Mathnasium. It's a math learning center that caters to children from the ages of 8-18. We assess the children then design a math program that targets individual math needs. Well anyway I enjoy working there. It's in the heart of the Westwood Jewish community so needless to say most of the children who go there are Jewish. We actually have holidays based on Jewish holidays and I'm realizing there are a lot of holidays. That's o.k. by me.

Anyhoo there are other children who go there mostly private school students. There are a couple of students who go to Le Lycee Francais which is a very exclusive bilingual French/English school. One particular 8 year old boy frome that school named Timothy has caught my eye since I started working at the mathnasium. This kid is a trip. He wears a tie and blazer to school everyday and on his casual days (once a month) he wears and oxford shirt with a tie and penny loafers. Did I mention this kid is 8 years old. He puts business men to shame. I have no clue what his parents do, and his mother who is white, is from some francophone country in Africa. Well anyway Timothy is very precocious. He spends most of his time trying to figure out a way not to do his work or he'll try to tell you stories about his previous life. Sometimes we speak in French together because he listens if I tell him to sit down and shut up in French. Well anyway about a month ago he asked if the rest of my family still lived in Africa. I said no my family lives in the united states. He said, "No I mean the rest of your family back in Africa." I said I don't have any family in Africa. He said but your black and you speak French. I said yes I'm black but I'm American and I learned French in school like he did. My family all lives here in the United States and has for years. He said there is a new kid in his class from Senegal. So he figures that must be where all the other black people came from. Needless to say I had to school little Timothy. Then yesterday he asked me was this other little back girl my daughter. I said no I don't have any children. He said sometimes he sees black people when he's out and he thinks they are my sisters and brothers and children because we are all black. I said sorry I know we all look alike but believe or not black people aren't all related.

Then he said well don't you and your husband want children. I told him I wasn't married. And he said, "What!?! your not married. Being married is so fun. You get to kiss and hug each other all day long. It looks like a lot of fun to me. Don't you wanna do that Tanika?" I have to admit the kid has a point. Kissing and hugging all day might be nice. However I said, "Timothy what's 13 - 4" and he said, "What?" I said it's time to do some math Timothy.

Timothy is utterly outrageous. I find myself in the weirdest conversations with this kid. Maybe he has been here before. I wonder if I was ever like that. Well have a good day and as always enjoy.

3 comments:

Michael Durand said...

'what's 13-4', eh? nice transition! you had me laughing, though, tanika.

Anonymous said...

Mon Dieu. Quel mignon. C'est tres interesant, le methode du pense de les petits, n'est-ce pas? J'espere que je peu acouter votre conversation. Pardonez mon francais mal.

Le Jaunde

that was completely from memory (note that I haven't had to write anything in french for more than 7 years now. Here is the babelfish translation for all you francophiles

Mon Dieu. Comment mignon. Il est très intéressant, la manière dont peu ceux pensent, n'est pas lui ? Je souhaite que je pourrais avoir entendu votre conversation. Excusez mon mauvais français.

Le Jaune

and finally what I meant in English

My God. How cute. It is very interesting, the way that little ones think, isn't it? I wish I could have heard your conversation. Excuse my bad french.

The Yellow

I can't believe this kid is eight and doesn't know that not all "ethnic" people are related. I mean on one hand it is cute, but it is also scary. If the child is precocious and yet hasn't learned these very obvious things, one shudders to think what type of mitigating influences will reign in his future mental prowess from being used in ignorance, from evil. Cute, but there is a pernicious threat that children exactly like Timothy will become the next crop of world leaders, who are just naive as to the situations of other unlike themselves. Tanika, you must do what you can to steer the child to the light. Bon chance.

Tanika said...

I agree with you guys. I love little Timothy. He would try the patience of a saint (which I clearly am not) but I can't seem to help myself. I love interacting with this kid. I will attempt to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Au Jaune:

Je pense que ton francais est tres bon et j'ai compris.

To Anna:

I'm afraid Le Jaune was serious I spoke with them last night.