I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Oh Baby!

For those of you who don't have the privilege of knowing him. I know a wonderful guy named Nate Towery. Under-valued and I think under-appreciated, he is known for hovering behind the scenes making sure that everything goes off without a hitch. And unlike most guys I know he is known for his affection for children, babies in particular. Nate is one of the few guys I know who actually enjoys holding and playing with babies. Most guys I know avoid them like the plague.

Well this past Monday Nate took it into his head that he wanted to give my good friends the Raceks a break and babysit their 3 wonderful children for a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon. He called me and asked would I assist him in this endeavor. Now I would like to first state that while Nate loves the babies he doesn't have much experience with them. And of course my first reaction to his phone call was, is this guy serious? Does he really want to take on the Racek 3 as his first serious babysitting adventure? I guess he was thinking the same thing which is why he called me. Well...I have to tell you I was extremely curious as to how things were going to go. As a connoisseur of human folly I was anxious to observe what was going to happen once the Raceks left and Nate was in charge of the children. I told myself before going over there that Nate was in charge and I was only going to be assisting him. So whatever he said goes.

Well about 5 minutes into our babysitting time Nate goes...Ummm...I don't think I like children as much as I thought I did...about 10 minutes later he said ...I don't know about having children...and by the time it was over he said...I think I need to get back to adult world. Now to be fair, I don't really think Nate was aware of the difference between playing with a child when you still have a visual on his/her parents and when you take responsibility for their well being when the parents are gone. I have to admit that he held his own a lot better than I thought. Considering baby Will cried a significant portion of the time and Katie decided it was time to have diarrhea. I will admit that since I have extensive experience with the Racek children I of course lent a hand. I'm not completely heartless.

My favorite part about the entire time had to have been Nate's observations about children. He kept asking me about when he should put his foot down and what not with the kid's and I was like well it's simple...If Dawson accidentally spills some juice, no big deal. Even if it ruins the rug. But on the other hand if Dawson smacks Katie upside the head then maybe it's time for some punishment. He also made observations about how their little personalities were developing based on the neurotic behavior they observe in adults. And he was all worried that he would do something to scar them for life. I told him that kids are pretty resilient and they would be ok. He also was flipping out because I let Dawson climb on the roof of the house in their room. But as I observed to Nate. Kids need to fall on their heads every once in a while. It's good for them. Anyway. Just thought I'd bring a little reality into an otherwise crazy world. Have a good day.

No comments: