I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Random Tanikaisms(schisms?)

Old School:
Some of you might remember that about two years ago I used to send out weekly updates and comments when I first got to L.A. I found one of them. I used to end with little things L.A. had taught me. I found one I wrote about hair styles. I decided to share it with those of you who were not fortunate enough to be on my emailing list at the time:

As I close this letter I wanted to leave you with a little something I learned about hair style do's and dont's (this is dedicated to Vic who contemplated a new hair style)What LA has taught me about hair do's and dont's:

1.Do:Get your hair colored, permed or straightened in a style that suits both your age and lifestyle.

Don't:Dye your hair one color, put in fake highlights and then let the grey grow out more than 3 inches.

2.Do:Get finger waves, micro-braids, perm, or press 'n curl that fits your head SIZE and SHAPE and HAIR LENGTH.
Don't:Get finger waves, micro-braids, perm or press 'n curl when your hair line has receded at least 2 inches. (Don't worry ladies I didn't see any of US out there like this).

3.Do:Make sure your hair is neatly, styled and slicked down when it's supposed to be.

a.Don't:Put so much oil and grease in your hair that you leave the bus seat/window slick and slimy when you get up.
b.Don't:Style your hair more that 4 inches away from your scalp. (Again Ladies I didn't see any of us out there like this)

4.Do:Take precautionary measures to make sure your hair doesn't get messed up on your way to work.

Don't:Let one of these measures be a hair net you THINK matches your hair color when it really doesn't.

Here is one I saw today.

Do: Be aware of the fact that your hair line is receding and get it styled accordingly.

Don't: Think that appropriate action for a receding hairline is a dyed combover.
(KCK do you remember the combover man?)

Blactoid: I've finally finished reading Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. It was really good. I did get the depression after. It wasn't until after I finished reading the book that I realized why she wrote it in the first place. The book was published in 1852 in response to the Fugitive Slave Act and it's repercussions. What I thought was pretty interesting is that Stowe's writing was such an accurate forshadowing of events that followed some 12 years later when the slavery issue came to a head. One of my favorite things that she includes in the last chapter of the book (check out the Uncle Tom link above) are stories of various people who escaped slavery and had prosperous lives. This book was both thought provoking and challenging.

Tanika's Relationship Tip#7: (Heads up this is for the singles) Waiting...ewww did I just say waiting? I believe I did. In a world where adults have temper tantrums if they aren't first in line at a supermarket and everything is either fast or instant, the concept of waiting can be an annoying one and sometimes (or so it seems) downright impossible. I would like to clarify what I mean by waiting. I don't mean waiting to talk to someone you are already interested in. I don't mean waiting until you know that person is so into you there is no possible way you can be rejected. In these circumstances it's always good to exercise caution. What I mean is waiting until you find the (pardon this hackneyed phrase) "right person". I'm not talking about that one single entity in the universe destined to be your soul mate (because let's get real this might not exist) I mean instead of jumping into a relationship with someone because you are lonely, depressed, on the rebound, or just want some attention/intimacy. I'm guilty of this myself. The majority of my past boyfriends were the result of boredom and the need for intimacy. I would be going along my merry way and then I would realize, "Hey, I'm single what's up with that?" Then the first guy who was like, "Hey baby" I ended up dating. Most of the time I don't pay attention to guys who try to kick weak game, but when I get all lonely for attention it can break a sista down. One thing I had determined when I got to Los Angeles was that I would wait for the "right guy" and by right guy refer back to Tip #6. Not perfection but at least someone who I wouldn't want to strangle a week into the relationship. I've been semi-successful. If you wanna know the details just ask me. If you think this is lousy advice think about the last jacked up relationship you had because you just decided to "go for it". Was it worth it? That's what I thought.

As always have a good day and enjoy.

1 comment:

Tanika said...

Sorry I had the depression so I haven't been deligent about answering the phone or getting back to people, I need to be drawn and quartered, but I'm back on now.