I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Bocce Ball Madness...

I've heard of March Madness even Reefer Madness, but Bocce Ball Madness?!? Well I knew I heard it all when I talked to my friend Jason on Friday and he told me the lengths he was willing to go to just to play a little bocce ball.

For a hot second I was a little skeptical that it might be an April Fool's story, but then I remember how much Jason loves it. He told me that he found out there was a new bocce ball court/field/lawn (sorry I don't remember the exact term) near him. He had been practicing as often as he could on his own even though it is a team sport, but he said it wasn't the same as getting out there on a good green lawn. Whatever that means. Well anyway he slipped stealthily onto the bocce ball green Thursday and it seemed as though it was in use. He called to see and found out that they would be open for business on Friday. He said he was so eager to start playing that he contemplated sneaking back over later that evening and trying to play a little ball that night before they even opened. By this point I was laughing so hard. I mean really would you go to these lengths for bocce ball?

He said he was so excited that he was going to get to play on Friday that he couldn't sleep that night. He got up bright and early Friday morning and took his bocce balls and special gloves and headed out . Unfortunately they weren't open yet. It's a good thing that it was walking distance because the car park was still locked up. So he just walked around to the shop and waited for someone to come along and open up. When someone finally showed up there he was eagerly waiting with all his things and the guy asked Jason, "Hey are you lost?". I mean it was 7 am. Jason said no, but he was ready to play some bocce ball. Unfortunately it had rained the night before and the lawns were pretty wet. He had to wait (impatiently) for 15 minutes for them to "rake" I guess the term is some of the water out of the grass. He told me he enjoyed it. I thought he was a bit excessive, but hey aren't we all at times.

I have to admit I always thought bocce ball was something old Italian men played, but Jason has taught me that isn't true. I have to be honest and say that I have become very interested in bocce ball myself and am mildly interested in learning how to play.

Tanika's Relationship Tip#2: Don't string someone along, i.e. if you are or about to be in a relationship with someone be honest with the other person about your motives. If you aren't seriously trying to pursue something that's fine, but let the other person know. Especially if the depth of their feelings are greater than your own. For some reason this particular subject has been the topic of at least 5 conversations I have had this week. I know I have been guilty of this, especially with the most recent guy I dated. I wasn't in love with him and I knew I didn't want to spend the rest of my life with him. Grief I didn't even want to spend the rest of the week with him, but I felt bad because he kept telling me I wouldn't give the relationship a chance. So instead of being straight with him I let things go on and on and when he said he loved me I almost flipped. (For the record I haven't ever been in love with anyone before). I realized that I had allowed things to go so far because of my cowardice and that I didn't know what to do without hurting his feelings. The point is there are people who are with someone else for reasons that aren't honest. Whether it's just the case that you enjoy the attention the other person gives you or you would rather have someone than be alone, or maybe you just like being a player. It isn't cool, because it's only a matter of time before the other person figures it out and gets hurt. As long as you both know where you stand then things are cool, but the moment games come into it well...there's no telling what might happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

T-dogg,

One thought and one question. First, I think you should rename "Tanika's Relationship Tip" to "T-dogg's hot tips for smoking lips and swiveling hips." That's my thought.

My question is, how do you know when you are "about to be in a relationship with someone" and therefore you need to be honest with your motives? The word "about" seems a little ambigous or vague...or open to interpretation...what are your thoughts?

Dory O'George said...

Hey Tanika, it's Becca...you seem to have a very full life with squirells and Raceks (??) and advice columning which I know nothing about cause you haven't emailed me back in MONTHS! How the hell are you? My email, in case you have lost it, is slusk8er@yahoo.com If you still want to be in comminication with me, drop me a line, just one word even. Kinda thought you just didn't want to talk to me anymore, so let me know if it is that or technological difficulties...

Tanika said...

BECCA!?! Of course I would like to keep in touch with you. I'm just a loser that's all. I'm not Sandy. I don't know what the person in my kindergarten class eats for breakfast everyday.

I'll email you.

Anonymous-

I'll give your rename some consideration. Maybe I'll talk to you about it today.

As to what the word "about" means...well it means when someone has said to you they would like to have a relationship (more than friendship) with you and you are interested in pursuing something with them or if you aren't, I think you should be up front with that person. If you don't know what you want that's fine, but if you aren't looking for the same thing they are you should also tell them that too. That way they don't place unrealistic expectations on you. And most of all you shouldn't lie to them and engage in a relationship that you don't want to be in.

I didn't mention the case where you initiate something because usually that involves you telling the other person what it is you want anyway. This is what I meant with "about". You are on the edge, but not in one. And may never be in one.