I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Linens 'n Things...

****CAUTION:Please read disclaimer****
Disclaimer: This entry is written mainly to women of course by a woman. Please feel free to skip down to Tanika's Relationship Tip #5.

The other day my friend Shannon was showing me her Easter pictures with her family. For the past couple of years I have made fun of her son's Easter clothes because she dresses him up like he is a senior citizen. This year she went too far and put linen pants on him. She teamed it with a white cap and a pastel argyle sweater. I was like, "Shannon please. Xavier is going to beat you up when he gets older. Stop the madness now." Somehow or other we started talking about how comfortable linen was to wear, but of course how difficult it is to take care.

Then the next thing you know we were talking about various clothing styles that women have these days. We were saying why is it always the case that we have to sacrifice comfort to fashion. (Now for those of you who know me I RARELY sacrifice comfort to fashion, I couldn't care less) But on the whole we try to appear attractive/sexy/hot yet women will be soooo uncomfortable it's not even funny.

One of my good friends was out of work for 9 months so she spent a lot of time around the house. I've known her 10 years and she has always been a sharp dresser. Slowly however she started moving towards comfort (i.e. sweats, tee-shirts, and other loungewear). Her husband got fed up and bought her a new wardrobe and was like don't ever wear sweats again. I know guys want women to be attractive, but don't you understand how uncomfortable it can be?

Anyway moving along. We were talking about how nice most guys look in just jeans and a tee-shirt. It just isn't fair. As a matter of fact they can even lose the tee-shirt and it still works. Guys can even be attractive in sweats, but let us leave the house in sweats. People act like we have the plague.

Shannon and I marveled however at the fact that at some point most women seem to realize that comfort comes before fashion. That would explain pastel linen suits or pretty much any other pastel or electric blue blousy style clothing that middle age women wear. Remember the Golden Girls. All their clothes could be pulled six inches away from their body.

I say why wait 'til we are 45. We can start a new trend. Comfy pastel linen suits for everyone!
Just kidding. Kinda. In a way. Ummm...not really.

Tanika's Relationship Tip#5: Please check your previous (hypothetical/actual)relationship's emotional baggage at the relationship door. Do you have an ex? Do you have a triflin' ex? Most people whether they dated that person or not has had some sort of negative romantic experience with the opposite sex. If you haven't then feel free to skip this tip. The reality of it is that most people have been hurt/traumatized/rejected/mistreated/ignored/abused by someone of the opposite sex. It doesn't matter if we ever dated them. What matters is we let these negative experiences color the way we view someone we want to be in a relationship with now or in the future. This is hard not to do. I was telling a friend recently that because of negative marriage experiences I had seen in the past I didn't particularly want to get married and I didn't think most people who are married would stay married. As a result of some triflin' men in my life I usually think most guys are lying when they say they want something serious or commitment. I think they are just trying to get some and will say anything to get it. But the truth is because everyone is different it's the two people who make the relationship. Just like I wouldn't want someone to judge me based on what they see others do I should kindly do the same. Nothing undermines a relationship as quickly as anticipating the worst of your partner or even worse accusing them with the transgressions of someone else. If I could get this one down most of my relationships would probably be better. Anyway have a good day and as always enjoy.

No comments: