I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

One night at P. Diddys...

Last night after dinner some of my friends and I headed off to a local Westwood hangout spot called Diddy Reise (sp? which we also affectionately refer to as P. Diddys) to get their world famous $1 ice cream sandwich. Eagerly anticipating the sweet taste of ice cream and cookies melting in my mouth I was devastated to discovery that they weren't serving the ice cream sandwiches. Apparently there was some sort of waste contamination of the water supply in the area and they couldn't rinse the ice cream scoops with the water. I offered to go get a one gallon jug so that I could still have some. I was respectfully denied.

As we sat outside nibbling cookies and some of us (not me) drinking milk the owner of P. Diddys came out to explain the situation and why we couldn't have the ice cream sandwiches. One of the guys with me asked was his name Reise. The owner said no actually the store is named after his grandmother who was named Reise. He said her first name was Diedre, but that they fondly referred to her as Did. Then he went further to explain that his grandmother had a taste for "The Drink" and after a few nips of the sauce she would get a little tipsy or "Diddy" so they would call her Diddy. I thought, "How sweet they named the ice cream shop after his drunk granny." Anyway it was kinda cool learning the history of the name and a little bit more about one of my favorite hangouts.

And now for something completely different. In the time honored tradition of the American public school system I have decided to devote a "small" portion of my blog to the celebration of black history month. So whenever I post a blog during the month of February I will put what I like to call a Blactoid (Black Factoid) at the end of each one. I'll attempt to share with you interesting tidbits about the history of black people in the united states.

Blactoid: As a fellow mathematician I thought it was interesting that Benjamin Bannaker was appointed as one of the designers of Washington D.C. by Thomas Jefferson. He was a farmer, astronomer, Mathematician, and historian. Some historians believe after the head of the design to resigned and left the city with the plans, Benjamin was apply to reproduce them completely from memory. (I guess Thomas Jefferson wasn't all bad.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell MD that when I'm in LA in a week I expect a full explanation from him on the root cause of this water contamination.
And it had better be fixed in time for me to have a p diddy ice cream sandwich!
~LP

Tanika said...

Anna: An indetured servant is a person who goes to work for someone to pay off there debt. When the debt is completely paid off they actually earn money to do the job they did. It isn't quite like a slave. During that time many people came to the new world to be indentured servants because they couldn't afford to buy land of their own. Many worked for the land they eventually got. Some black people did they same thing. I'm not sure if his grandmother did that on purpose. I guess it goes to show that not every white person was trying to oppress black people. Some liberated them by whatever means were within their power.

LP: I'm not sure if MD will give a good explaination, but P. Diddys should be back in form by then.