I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Collecting Pigs for Dummies

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting around on a Friday night watching novelas (Spanish soap operas) with my roommate Manola and we started talking about the types of people we were. I was telling her about a recent personality test I had taken that actually came out fairly accurate. One of the things it said people of my type did as a child was have collections. I said that was true. Some of you know I collected Spiderman comics during my teenage years (for obvious reasons). For the past 6 years I've been collecting stubs from movies I've been to see. I know this sounds weird, but if you want to know why feel free to ask me. I'm in the process of making them into a scrap book.

Some people know about my oddest collection however. I collect pigs. I know what your thinking...did she just say she collects pigs. And yes I said I collect pigs. Manola was like, "WHY?" clearly she like most people aren't very interested in pigs so why collect them. I have to admit I don't just collect any pig. It has to be special. So I usually only get one or two a year. In the general irreverent style that is Tanika I like to give my pigs Jewish names. Anyway most people don't know why I started collecting pigs. I thought I'd give you a brief glimpse into my personality by telling you why. The nature of most people's collections tell you a little bit about themselves. I have to admit I already had a fondness for pigs before I started collecting them. They are intelligent, hardworking, and loyal. Who wouldn't love that. I also think they are cute in a weird pig way.

Anyway when I was about 13 and I was looking into one of those mechanical arm machines you put a quarter in and get a cheesy prize or stuffed animal out of. I was with some friends who were all trying to get a cool prize out of the machine. Of course they all wasted their quarter. I told them they didn't understand the premise behind the machine, the trick is you have to find the ugliest thing that no one in the world could possible think was cute or remotely attractive. That would be the only thing the arm would ever pick up. They didn't believe me. We all looked inside. Suddenly half buried in the back corner I saw him, soon to be called Levin, with his patchwork bum sticking in the air. He was the ugliest pig I had ever seen. I knew immediately he was the one I had been looking for. I deposited my quarter and manipulated the mechanical arm over him. Soon I had him clutched in my arms with a triumphant smile on my face. I skipped all the way home not knowing then what I had just started. Over the years I have been collecting various pigs that while not pleasing to the eye hold a special place in my heart.

I was telling Manola that somehow I have equated in my mind my love of ugly pigs to my love of people. Sometimes on the outside a person might be difficult or not someone people would immediately think to hang around or love, but I think if I look deeper they could be intelligent hardworking, loyal, and lovable . Not saying that I don't appreciate beauty, I do. But I don't let lack of beauty stop me from looking deeper. I was hanging out with my friend Mark the other night and I was telling him about someone who I thought was attractive. He told me the person wasn't. I was like how can you tell me who I think is attractive. Mark said I was lowering my "standards". I thought about this when I got home. I was thinking I wasn't lowering my "standards". It's just that my standards weren't his standards. Maybe they aren't anybody else's standards either. I got my philosophy from collecting pigs. I'm looking for something special. I guess to me things become more or less beautiful/attractive by what is inside not what is outside. I could try to change, but who am I kidding I have more chance of changing as I do of growing six inches taller. Anyway I guess that's it for that.

If you are feeling game and would like to take a pig personality test. First take out a blank sheet of paper and draw a picture of a pig on it. After please look at the interpretation of your drawing.

Have a good day and enjoy the Blactoid of the day.

Blactoid: A period of history that I've always found fascinating was the period after the Civil War know was the Reconstruction. It was a time when slaves were freed and the Freedman's Bureau was established in order to help slaves to become integrated into society. Black people actually participated in politics and some even were in elected positions. However in an attempt to help reconcile the confederate states with the union states the gov't gave governing power back to the states and they instituted things called Black Codes that restricted the rights of blacks and things quickly deteriorated back to the way they were before the Reconstruction period.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

My pig didn't even have ears... what does that mean?? :-)

Anonymous said...

Dude, the personality and pig test had some of the same words in it...hmm, they might be right...NAH. :-p

I admire your odd pig collection, Tanika; it takes patience to build up a specific breed like that (and about that movie stub collection, I had seen a few lying around in your bedroom when we visited, but didn't think anything of it...just thought it was a sentimental thing). Btw, I do enjoy reading your Blacktoids as well. And oh yeah, I got a job copywriting again!!! Heehee...the 9-month hiatus is over, praise God. ttyl

Anonymous said...

I took the personality test. These are the comments provided as a result of my test. Can you guess who I am???

Stability |||||||||||| 47%
Orderliness |||||||||||||||||||| 83%
Extraversion |||||||||||||| 56%

Stability results were medium which suggests you average somewhere in between being calm and resilient and being anxious and reactive.

Orderliness results were high which suggests you are overly organized, reliable, neat, and hard working at the expense too often of flexibility, efficiency, spontaneity, and fun.

Extraversion results were moderately high which suggests you are, at times, overly talkative, outgoing, sociable and interacting at the expense of developing your own individual interests and internally based identity.

trait snapshot:

clean, organized, dislikes chaos, semi neat freak, perfectionist, traditional, realist, fits in most places, enjoys managing others, risk averse, good at saving money, prudent, respects authority, high self control, hard working, does not like to stand out, follows the rules, finisher, resilient, takes precautions, cautious, honest, unfamiliar with the dark side of life, practical, dutiful

Tanika said...

Daniel:
As we can see from the analysis. You either drew too few details or your pigs ears were microscopic. I like to go with too few details because you are a good listner. Except when we're talking and you aren't really listening to me, but just going mmmhmmm...yeah...cool. Then I know you aren't listening. I always knew you were a risk taker.
8. If the pig is drawn with few details, you are emotional, naïve, care little for detail and take risks.
11. The larger the pigs ears are drawn, the better listener you are.

Anonymous:
To the person who posted the results to the personality test. I think it is kck. Am I right. You are the only person that I know that that discribes.

Anonymous said...

HA-HA-HA. Yes, you are right, Tanika. That personality test was mine, aka KCK.

Anonymous said...

Tanika,
If you are really attracted to an individual because of their inside beauty, that's great. It is important to honestly asess how you feel though. If you feel that you somehow don't deserve a (what you find) beautiful person or that (what you find) beautiful people are a certain way and you don't like that way, that is not doing yourself justice. You can have it all (almost). What is beauty anyway? Some people might really like television/ movie stars with halfnames and shrunk bodies. Just be sure that what you want is what you really want.

Mark (yes, that Mark)

Tanika said...

Mark,

You are so crazy. I all I was trying to say is that if I can't like a person for what is inside of them then that's it. They can be "good looking", but that is not as important to me. I guess it's a mixture of personal experiences and inclinations that have made me this way. The only thing I think I "deserve" is someone who enriches my life and someone who's life I enrich. Be it friendship or romantic.