I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Friday, February 25, 2005

...Of Mice and Men...

As I have stated to some people I have been highly frustrated over the past couple of days trying to post some blogs and through technical difficulties and my own stupidity I kept deleting my blogs. And though I say it myself I felt like all those blogs were some of my finest writing ever. (Yes I know I'm modest). I told Lauren today I give up I'm not blogging anymore. Clearly I was just kidding.

I figure as long as I don't try to say anything I think anyone would actually want to hear then my blog will turn out just fine right? Right!

I went to see the movie Hitch last night. It was hilariously funny. I laughed so loud that if everyone else hadn't been laughing so loud as well then I would have been a serious disruption. I definitely want to see it again. And for those of you who hate romantic comedies it's has so many funny parts that you can almost forget about the romance, almost. I'm not sure who wrote the script, but they were definitely on point about the things they had the characters saying. There are some guys AND girls who I really want to see it. You will know who you are when I ask you if you want to go to the movies with me.

Even though I can't stand modern romance movies (I'm not talking about romantic comedies with funny bits) I'm talking stuff like the Closer. I do enjoy some romance. Some of you might not know it but I love movies based on books written by British authors during the 17th/18th-century. This also might be shocking to some people who don't know me well, but Jane Austen is my favorite author. Having a bad day. Break out a little Austen and everything is just a little better. Some of my friends know me so well that when they see me carrying an Austen novel they immediately ask me what's wrong. Sometimes I just like reading them again you guys. I've read everything she has ever written (multiple times) and seen every movie based on her novels. But somehow I can't stand modern romance movies. They get on my nerves soooooo much. Why? I don't know. It's like everyone in the movie is trying to hook-up with someone. They met on a Friday, slept with each other on Saturday, had a huge fight, realized they were in love on Sunday and are ready to get married by Monday. Everything is cliches and the intelligent conversation is kept to a minimum. Where is the ROMANCE. I didn't see it. All I saw were people hooking up.

Alas I'm a romantic at heart. However most movies focus on hooking up not wooing. That's why I like period pieces. I like the idea of someone courting another person. Actually taking the time to realize what that person likes and doesn't like. Doing little things that bring happiness and pleasure without taking. I guess when I'm interested in someone I enjoy focusing on them and learning things about that person, but I like it to be like a Chinese puzzle box. Everyday you find a new compartment. Being constantly surprised. It's like a treasure hunt where the treasure is a new deeper level of intimacy. But maybe people don't really want that. Maybe people like to keep things as superficial as possible. I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but that's cool. I'm holding out for Mr. Darcy anyway.

Blactoid: Growing up I've been asked a lot of interesting questions by people who aren't black about black people's hair. Some were joking, confused, borderline rude, and downright offensive. This subject has caused a lot of division especially among the black community. Some people have become obsessed with having long hair that is perfectly straight while others are obsessed with wearing theirs natural. The whole concept of "nappy" has caused more arguments than a little bit. People hate on nappy hair and people who are happy to be nappy hate on people who straighten theirs. People ask me why don't I do all these crazy things to my head. 1st: I don't like just any old person touching my head. 2nd: It's expensive. I was telling Lauren today that to get your hair styled starts at about $100. You think I'm paying for that! psshh! please! 3rd: And what I feel is most important is I don't care. I just want my hair to be manageable enough for me to comb it. Function over form my friends, function over form. But here is your opportunity. Any questions you want to ask me about my hair or black people's hair in general now is the time. Post it on this blog and I'll answer all queries. Also feel free to ask me in person. Have a good day and as always enjoy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

At last you had success without deletion! I'm so proud!

Thank you for humbling me about my hair. Relatively speaking, my hair's not so unmanageable... except when washed with Sepulveda water ;)

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted black person hair... but I think I'm just a schitzoid ;)

Tanika said...

Why would you want a black person's hair. Not saying you shouldn't just curious. Most people say they want black people's hair because it holds style better.

Joshdull said...

i'm cool with the hair I gots, so I'll move on to another topic...

have you seen "As Good as it Gets"? My bet is that you have. But I thought of it as you were discussing the idea of romances that you didn't care for. This one might be more up your alley:
No hooking up, intellegent conversation, akward moments, funny dialogue, and good acting to boot.

just a thought.

You can borrow it from me if you ever bring back Usual Suspects. : )

Tanika said...

Mr. Joshua,

I love your hair as well. But I vaguely remember you talking to me about it being nappy at some time or other. Maybe it wasn't you.

As to your movie. I will definitely give it back to you on Wednesday. I was supposed to put it with the books I brought back to Mike, but forgot and ended up putting it in storage. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

It does seem to hold style well. It just always seemed to me that no matter how a black person does their hair, it looks pretty cool. Stick some gel in it, it looks cool. Tie it up, it looks cool. Leave it alone, it looks cool. Get it done in a salon, it looks cool.

Plus it feels really nice, and it's scrunchy.

Tanika said...

Well thanks Brooke, I really appreciate your compliments, but you forgot the most important one. Sleep on it during the night without braiding it or wrapping it up, look like chewbacca. Spend next morning trying to get it all to go in the same direction.

Tanika said...

Anna,

I've also seen what you do to get your hair straight and trust me that is no easy task. If I were you I would never attempt it. But I definitely like the results.

Tanika said...

Haha, yeah I know right?