I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Monday, December 19, 2005

'Tis the season to be jolly?

"I don't know if I can live with myself anymore."

"God, I just want some peace. Is that too much to ask?"

"My mind makes me sick."

"I don't know how much more of this I can take."

These are all phrase I've heard over the past couple of weeks as the holiday season fast approaches. For most as the year draws to a close and holiday plans loom on the horizon, it's a time of celebration and being with the people you love. You make plans, give gifts, and eat your weight in turkey. But for a large part of the population it can be a very lonely or even depressing time.

I had the benefit of riding the bus home from the northern most regions of "The Valley" for about 4 hours on Sunday morning and I got the chance to observe quite a few people both inside the bus, walking down the street, and driving in cars. I went through a variety of neighborhoods with varying socioeconomic status. The common thread I saw in all the people I observed was that quite a few of them looked upset, depressed, and even angry.

I was looking at an article today about the depression people suffer at this time of year. And the thing that has been on my mind the past couple of days is what can I do about this. As some of you know I'm obsessed with what I can do to fix what I perceive as problems. And I realized I can't really change anyone's life. But what I can do and what I think a lot of others can do is be aware of people you come into contact with that might be struggling at this time of year and maybe you can have a positive impact in their lives by taking an active, honest interest in how they are doing.

During the holiday season we spend most of our time trying to give tangible gifts, things that you can measure with monetary value. Even volunteering and helping the needy. I think one of the greatest gifts we can give someone is our time, love, compassion, and understanding of their needs emotionally and spiritually as well as physically.

As always have a good day and enjoy.

2 comments:

Michael Durand said...

right on, tanikita.

Tanika said...

thanks mike