I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

All that Glitters...



As the day rapidly approaches for my family to come and visit me I find myself answering questions for them about what we will do, see, eat, etc. And the more I talk to them the more I realize that most of them have misconceptions about what to expect when you get to Los Angeles. The only one who has visited before is my little sister and she too finds it hard to dislodge the image that Los Angeles projects to the world.

It's funny, but I've been trying to recall what I anticipated when I first got here. I guess after living in Chicago and visiting New York I had LA all planned out and I was wrong. I forget how much of what I thought about LA had been formed from television, movies, songs, and hearsay. My older sister tries to tell me she already knows what it's like because her friends who have visited have told her, but she doesn't realize and what I and all immigrants to LA had to realize is visiting is one thing living here is another. Unless you came and stayed for more than a month you don't have a clue.

Los Angeles is one of the largest cities as far as land and people and is virtually impossible to see unless you can stay for more than a month. As a matter of fact I just went to a part of the city that I've never been to last night and I've lived here 4 years. And what I've found from everyone who's moved here it's never what you first imagined especially if all you know about is television. Los Angeles Demographics and Economics report will show that majority of people are not only unemployed, but homeless as well. A majority of the people live 250% below the poverty level. Los Angeles has one of the worst and overcrowded school districts that have been riddled with academic failure.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from visiting just to realize that over course they make it seem glamorous on t.v. and of course there are wonderful things to do and see here and lots of fun to be had, but that about 90% of the population never sees that.

As always have a good day and enjoy.

No comments: