I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Inspiration

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

The sentiments of my week. I've been inspired by a good friend to start posting again. Last week a coworker who used to read my blog asked why I stopped writing. The truth is I've been busy, but I miss being able to express my quippy, quirkly and infrequently witty remarks without interruption. That's certainly why I started.

Sometimes it was just good to have a rant about the week, like in the first line. Or to shed some light on an observation I had made about human nature. Or maybe just frustration at an annoying math publication :)

It was like a trip to the therapist with myself. Unless I'm using someone as a sounding board it rarely helps to talk about things until I've started to untangle them in my mind first, but enough of that.

This week has been crazy to say the least. You know it's bad when you can't wait until Friday to come even though you work on the weekends. It's not the kids of course or the math. I love that always have always will. It's the hoops you have to jump through just to do that. The pursuit of knowledge apparently isn't enough anymore, but alas I am but a small gear in this huge machine of education, turning slowly with the inertia of the system hoping my crooked spoke throws things off track so they can change, hopefully for the better.

As always have a good day and enjoy.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I think some of it goes back to legislators and other public officials who make the laws and rules.

It's a little bit like programming. You can think up a program and outline what it's supposed to do, but when you go to actually write it there's always a ton of things you didn't expect.

Legislation is a lot like writing a specification (not that I write much of that sort of thing :-). But if you didn't actually put the spec into practice, you're bound to be in for unexpected things.

So, legislators and other public officials should possibly test more of their laws and rules before they make them offical, instead of just making up stuff in a vacuum. Maybe some things do get tested first, but I'm guessing not enough.

Sometimes too I think at least some public officials are simply out-of-touch with real living. Like with the California judges who struck down home schooling. There has to be a balance between knowing the ins and outs of the laws and all the philosophies that go along with it, and just plain common sense and sensibility and everyday-joe thinking and living.

Yah, what do you think?

Tanika said...

Daniel - I'm not sure about the particulars of legislation, but I do know a lot about the development of bureaucratic regulations. Typically a lot of those regulations are put into place as a direct response to someone how was in direct violation of some code of ethics previous as an unwritten but understood method of behavior. So in an effort to prevent it from happening again they make up this new rule which inhibits the majority of the people functioning in the system, just to prevent the possibility of it happening again.

As far as it not being tested. Well the practicality of work actually functioning after the regulation has been set in place that's the part I'm not so sure of because the main concern isn't about helping the remaining people function productively in the system, but rather in keeping people from "violating or destroying" the system.

Did that make sense?