I am 50% Left Brain and 50% Right Brain. Interesting...

You Are 50% Left Brained, 50% Right Brained
The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

If it wasn't for those meddling kids...

Recently, someone who I work with was telling me how they want to have 11 children. Personally I was in mild shock because I was wondering how they would support this number of children on their current budget. Maybe they were thinking of the number they wanted if they won the lottery.

I was also baffled because I couldn't figure out how in the world this person who could barely handle 3 kids a time would even try to have more than that. I know there's a book about it taking a small village to raise a child, but you don't have to have your own village.

I guess I had this strong reaction because recently I've seen some parental examples that have left much to be desired. I can only imagine what it must be like growing up, day in day out feeling helpless and trapped in a bad situation that you have no control over. And before anyone starts jumping all over me, no I don't have any children of my own, but I have helped raise 3 and I've been working with children for more years than I care to tell you because then you'll know my age. But I don't need to be a parent to see when a child is hurting.

Sometimes I feel so ineffective when I see them struggling and unsure and I can't really do much of anything and it's pretty hard to try to reassure them that things will get better. I look into young eyes that should show eager inquisitiveness and I see cynicism and hopelessness. I've observed the arbitrary methods that some parents use with their children. I try to tell myself that it's merely a misguided but serious attempt to raise them correctly, though I know it isn't.

Then I am amazed at a child's ability to overcome all of these things and still have dreams and goals. To not give into the despair of their circumstances.

It's been a rough week. Feel free to comment.

As always have a good day and enjoy.

No comments: